Sunday 5 July 2015

summer has arrived - finally!

Summer has arrived! Finally!
In true Nova Scotia style it turned up on Jul 2nd just after my father in law returned to England.
Given that he always comes in either Fall or Spring to late Spring he has not yet experienced summer here and I am sure he thinks it doesnt actually exist.
You have to experience it to believe it, those Brits (me too once) imagine summer here to be like an English summer because hey, its Canada right?! They only get snow and freezing cold temps and a sniff of warmer weather. They must think we are nuts here to have a pool... but anyway, they cant envisage the feel of the heat and humidity here.

I love it, in a nutshell. I am sure I am about the only person around that loves humidity, welcomes it with open arms. To me it signals that summer is really here. Unless I am sweating as I get ready for work in the morning then its not summer.

And of course that morning choice of work attire at this time of the year can be tricky. What to wear on such a day when I know the office could (cant say for sure if it will) but could be freezing with an over-abundance of AC. I hate AC by the way, I am happy to be without it, I would rather be sticky hot than have AC on (unless I am stuck in a car in traffic of course - then I welcome it, but only then)

This is the time of year when the ceiling fans are on 24/7 rotating warm air around the upstairs and I am wondering around in shorts and blissful happiness.

Today is Sunday, In fact its Sunday morning, a favourite time. I am writing this, sat at our newly sanded and waxed dining table that we have figured out is about 20 years old (love love love) with the windows open, birds singing, laundry out, dogs walked and a jam jar of freshly cut lavender adorning the new waxed surface. Its all rather agreeable.

Today we have beach plans, Melmerby (my favourite NS beach) is the planned destination with some overexcited children and an overexcited me. I love it there - it has decent washrooms!




No comments:

Post a Comment