Thursday 24 August 2017

On the road to retirement?

Just lately I have been thinking about obsessing about the idea of retiring. The house up the road from us has a massive motorhome now sat on the driveway. We had a chat, hes 54 and newly retired from the military. He and his wife are planning on selling the house and their older car and travelling North America in that rig with their newest car attached on the back. I have seen the rig, its all kinds of lovely with slide outs and a queen side bed in its own room, nice bathroom, granite countertops etc etc (trust me this etc etc list is extensive)
When not travelling in a whimsical fashion in warmer climes all winter, they will be seeing their children, who now live with their spouses in Ontario. It sounds dreamy to me.

I now cannot get past this ideal. Obviously we need to downsize our beloved house to do it, which in a perfect world would be paid for and that (selling this house), I cant imagine doing easily. Obviously my children will be older. To be 55 and retired is 13 years away for me.
I have started doing the math and its entirely possible to be following in the neighbours tire tracks in 15 years time (at a push in 13). What I now need to do, whilst fiscally planning this out carefully (so it can actually transpire) is actually continue to enjoy the years between now and then, and really live them.
I absolutely do not want to fast forward to mid fifties with grown up children. That would be a terrible waste of my life. I cannot forget though, the look of the Bahia Honda RV park which I have been looking up online like a stalker....
dreamy huh?!!!

So... now to get there by carefully planning the finances, but at the same time enjoying the present moment... hmmmm


2 comments:

  1. We sold our house and quit our jobs at age 45. No, we were not independently wealthy. We bought a smaller used motorhome. Our kids at the time were 19 and 21, but they were both out of the house. It was supposed to be a two year plan, but here we are ten years later now working five months of the year and traveling for seven.

    There are lots of ways to think outside the box as far as traditional retirement is concerned.

    The MAIN thing is to reduce your expenses. And, you don't need a "massive" motorhome with all the toys. You can buy a suitable rig for $20,000 if you lower your standards a little. Unless you want to keep working for another 13 years, but that's up to you... :-)

    www.travelwithkevinandruth.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have just seen your comment, I dont know why. Anyway we continue to think outside the box while living our full lives as best we can. Girls are still at school and life at home is still great. This RV dream is for a future life

      Delete