Friday 28 May 2021

Our Covid May

 Its been an interesting May. 

May 9th - Paul is told one of his colleagues tests positive for covid, he books a test.

May 10th - Paul and I attend tests, his is PCR, mine is rapid and I have a negative result text to me on the way home.

May 11th - 1.15pm Paul gets the call that hes tested positive! I dont respond to the news in a format entirely suitable to the work zoom I was on.

We start isolating from each other at home, its tiring and I have a whole new appreciation for those working in kitchens in restaurants and fast food establishments in masks.

May 12th - May 14th hes exhausted and sleeping a lot and loses sense of smell and taste. As we are sleeping apart I check in on him each morning with more than a little trepidation.

May 12th - the girls and I test - negative. Have a nice little new road trip to test centre that includes Tims drivethrough drinks on way home.

May 14th - the girls and I test again - negative

May 18th - the girls and I test again, another brutal PCR test for me. Get home, walk dogs, feel tired, sat downstairs feeling really cold, had bath to warm up and then to bed where I commence chills and sweats all night. Next day am so tired take day off with headache to boot. Girls get negative results.

May 19th - feel rough still but start work as a little better and get the call that I tested positive. I kind of knew it was coming. Temp at 37.9, I wonder what it was last night when I didnt think to check it. Thank God Paul feels better. Girls have new isolation end date and continue wearing masks in the house. I am either in my room or outside now. The weather is beautiful and I am so very thankful for our deck.

May 20th -fevers have gone replaced by tight chest and a prickly sensation in my lungs thats more than a little alarming. My oxygen reader says 96,97,98 so thats ok. I make sure in a low key way that my friend has my plans for Ducky that I sent on an email. The only way I could go to sleep was with the knowledge that while all my relationships may not be as I want them to be, I have nothing unsaid and nothing to apologize for.  Thats strange to have that as the comfort that enables you to actually go to sleep. I know that if I wake in the night and am winded just going to the bathroom that I have to call 911. Its so strange to be here. My joints hurt too, I cant even walk downstairs forward as my knees hurt.

May 21st - so tired, cant imagine being able to have the energy to even lunge Ducky again let alone ride again. Sat outside where I observe my oxygen at 93 and idly ponder that if it goes down to 92 I have to call EHS and thats a journey that I will be taking alone. I focus on slow deep breathing.

May 22 - still fighting the headache and tight chest but its not so bad. I now have diarrhea and feel very low.  I am so annoyed at reading all the non believers BS on line. All the government control crazy shit thats out there. Everyone is shouting at the wrong subject, the government are not trying to control us in some conspiracy way FFS. The virus is what they are trying to stop. Lose my sense of taste and smell. 

May 23-May 26 am slowly getting back to me. I cant taste or smell yet but I am back at work. 

May 27. So much better, public health should release me today but they dont call.

May 28 - still waiting for public health to officially release me from isolation. I wanted to see Ducky yesterday but no call. I so wanted to go as it was his vaccine day.


So far I feel a mix of thoughts. So glad I was able to stay home. So thankful for the level of care from public health. So cross that we got this in the first place. So afraid at times. Now so frustrated to still be waiting to be able to leave the house (and a little bit fearful that I have fallen between the cracks in the system). Half heartedly looking forward to my first vaccine dose which is now on Jun 4 (half hearted because I loathe needles and not excited about another hit to my immune system), so thankful the NS Government is vaccinating teenagers - my two have their shots booked for Jun 11.

Maybe, we will have a normal life again soon.

In the meantime a friend in this neighbourhood lost her father to this insidious virus and another friend lost her 7 year old in an accident. So much sadness and tragedy.





No comments:

Post a Comment